[ubuntu-studio-devel] CyberSec For Creative Humans (was: PR&Support)

lukefromdc at hushmail.com lukefromdc at hushmail.com
Thu Oct 29 22:44:09 UTC 2015

Yes-a secure, untraceable posting requires that the user do absolutely NOTHING else
in the entire session. There are multiple security levels in question here, from a high
school student blowing the whistle on a "gropy" principal to releasing video of police
brutality in a corrupt town (or country), all the way to the Snowden level of material
that could change the course of war, trade agreements, or diplomacy.

The main reason I suggested TAILS is that use of any live disk insulates the machine
against spyware inserted during a previous session. Needless to say, if the user has
to go online to figure out how to use Tor safely, the session is blown and another
location and time must be used. Same for having to download Torbrowser, which also is
increasingly blocked by IP's trying to indirectly block Tor via "chicken and egg." With
TAILS some basic security settings (including disguising the theme as Windows) are
asked about at boot time.

Of course, at the Snowden level if spyware inserted into the current session reveals a real IP
address you need to be on a connection not traceable to you and not on a security camera,
and if it reveals a CPU ID you need to be using a one-use, expendable computer.  A new
bottom-barrel  laptop costs no more than an hour or two of a lawyer's time, and two hours
of a top-notch  laywer's time costs as much as a burn laptop, a burn cellular wifi access point.
and prepaid with cash airtime cards all combined. Thus, Tor is but one layer in a multilayered
defense. Single-layer defenses usually get penetrated sooner or later.

Even at the level of posting a video of the local cops beating someone up, the combination of
Tor with use of a public access point and a new account on the host service created that same
session can mean being able to sleep at night without worrying about a police raid for something
like "wiretapping"(overturned in MD but not in never-litigated states) or a subpeona for raw clips.

Encryption's value is in the hands of someone willing to defy a subpeona regardless of the
penalties (to not snitch) and able to remember a strong passphrase and use it right. It is known that
the use of encrypted email frustrated British cops and the FBI during the Huntingdon Life Sciences
(vivisection) campaign, and that a UK key disclosure order was defied and the defiance gotten away
with by the activists in that campaign.

Dealing with any cyber-adversary (even the ad networks) is in fact a form of warfare. Both offense
and defense exist and the balance of power is ever-changing. Also the importance of training: it's a
lot easier to keep something secure and yet get the job done when you are intimately familar with
the tools in question.