[ubuntu-studio-devel] HDMI sound

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Mon Nov 30 14:57:15 UTC 2015

Saw this and thought it worth mentioning here.
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-user/2015-November/103254.html

I have:
 	a) always turned my internal audio stuff off in bios.
 	b) do not have anything that can deal with HDMI audio anyway.

I will be turning my internal audio on for testing purposes, but still
have not way of testing HDMI audio.

I would not be able to use the method reported in this email because I use
dual monitors (it is safe to assume dual monitors are very common for an
audio system that is not on a laptop).

Anyway, it would be worth while finding out if there is a way get HDMI
audio to work with no display. The audio quality is probably better than
internal and considering the user may already have the HDMI equipment,
cheaper than an external AI.

This converter may do the trick:
http://www.primecables.com/p-347646-cab-hdmi-3rca-6ft-hdmi-to-3-rca-composite-converter-cable-6ft-white-primecables
Not expecting high quality though :)