[ubuntu-studio-devel] Gedit

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Thu Nov 26 15:04:10 UTC 2015

On Thu, 26 Nov 2015, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>> Count me odd, but for terminal I use joe unless nano is all there is.
>
> Really? Ctrl+K D to save? What is K D for? "K" for
> "kauzig/komisch" (German words for "odd") and "D" for "disk"?

Probably Kommand ;)

> For nano it's Ctrl+O and O is for output, since the common command
> line abbreviations are "o" or "of" for output (file) and "i" or "if" for
> input (file).

I learned on wordstar way back, and these commands used to be very common.
I find nano's methods of dealing with block selections less than good. joe
allows selecting part of a line and copying/cutting. Nano just cuts, so to
copy I have to cut-> paste->move->paste. And it only cuts whole lines
(that I can see).

Joe also colour codes things based on the programming language in the file
which is nice. It does have some trouble dealing with white space the
right way... or maybe I just need to configure it right.

I would probably be better learning one of the more common dev tools like
emacs. But the GUI in geany seems to do it all right and has build
commands and can keep track of whole projects. Clicking on build errors
opens the right file and puts the cursor at the offending line.

www.ovenwerks.net