[ubuntu-studio-devel] Desktop Agnostic, Was: Re: Gedit

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Thu Nov 26 09:45:31 UTC 2015

On Thu, Nov 26, 2015, at 10:32 AM, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:
> Since we have decided to go towards being desktop agnostic already for
> more than a year, I don't see why we should bother with replacing text
> editors.
> We should sync with Xubuntu, and if there are problems, we should
> cooperate with Xubuntu devs.

On that note, I will have a go tomorrow at syncing our seeds with latest
Xubuntus.

But, to become truly desktop agnostic, we still need to solve a few
things.
* a way to install any existing DE with Ubuntu Studio specific stuff on
top by installing either only ubuntustudio-desktop (would require an
install script with both gui and terminal options), or having one Ubuntu
Studio package for each DE (ubuntustudio-xfce, ubuntustudio-kde, etc).
* ubiquity plugin that allows one to choose between the DEs. One is
shipped with the DVD. Others will be downloaded, so only one can be
installed without internet connection (the plugin could just be showing
the GUI options for ubuntustudio-desktop).