[ubuntu-studio-devel] Gedit

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Wed Nov 25 21:58:08 UTC 2015

On Wed, 25 Nov 2015, lukefromdc at hushmail.com wrote:

> Ubuntu has stayed with gedit 3.10 all the way through using parts of GNOME 3.16
> for good reason. Later versions are much harder to use, GNOME has become
> known for designing only around one particular workflow concept.
> Pluma now builds
> quite well with gtk3 or with gtk2 if the newly released 1.12 version is used.
> A very big change is on the horizon with gtk3.20, Ubuntu 16.04 will miss it by using
> gtk3.18 assuming current patterns continue, but 16.10 will presumably use Gtk3.20.
>
> GTK 3.20 looks to me like the biggest change since the 2.32 to 3.0 jump, as the
> theming system is totally revised, I've been working for two days to update my theme
> and I am not done yet.

So the idea that gedit is getting worse even without gtk3 changes is also
something to look at.

> On 11/25/2015 at 3:38 PM, "Ralf Mardorf" <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>> Until now I didn't use pluma on Ubuntu, but I strongly recommend
>> to take a
>> look at it, it's my most used GUI editor.

That is two people who think pluma would be a good choice. I am ok with
it. I don't like the default wrap on even when the file being edited is
code, but I will probably be using geany's editor for most of that anyway.

I like medit's "diff to disk" tool (never seen that before), but I don't
know that I would use it much if at all.

The reality is, I don't like what I am seeing with gedit. I don't know
what most users need/want and what is easy for newbys to use/understand. I
would like to include the editor that gives new users the best experience
with the least surprises without being frustrating to the old user who
wants to edit system files easily. If mousepad can do that, anything more
can be user choice. But if mousepad makes Studio seem incomplete the we
need something more.

>> I do most things with pluma and nano. There are other editors I
>> like, but
>> to replace gedit IMO pluma is the best editor.

Count me odd, but for terminal I use joe unless nano is all there is.

www.ovenwerks.net