[ubuntu-studio-devel] 16.04 Graphics Workflow

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Tue Nov 24 11:46:33 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015, at 11:12 AM, set wrote:
> On 2015-11-24 09:54, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 24, 2015, at 03:16 AM, Len Ovens wrote:
> >> The source has been changed, the package just needs to be uploaded.
> >
> > Uploaded. Should appear in archives within a few hours (don't know about
> > mirrors).
> >
> Sorry for a perhaps stupid question, but which package had to be
> uploaded, and where? Trying to get in flow with how things work...

Not a bad question at all :).

We have a special package for our menu, called ubuntustudio-menu.

LP project page: https://launchpad.net/ubuntustudio-menu
Source:
https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntustudio-dev/ubuntustudio-menu/ubuntustudio-menu

To get the source, in a terminal do:

  bzr branch lp:ubuntustudio-menu

Len did changes to the source, committed and pushed them. But, before
the changes can be published the source needs to be built and uploaded
to the ubuntu archive.
Len does not have upload rights, but like all members of
ubuntustudio-dev, he can make changes to the sources owned by
ubuntustudio-dev. I have upload rights only for packages that we own
(original Ubuntu Studio packages).

What I do is similar to how you upload to a PPA:
 * get the source from lp:ubuntustudio-menu
 * check the changes to the source, and if they are good (I'm
 responsible, since I'm doing the upload)
 * edit the changelog so that the package is ready for release
 * build both source and binary package - test the binary
 * test the binary package by installing it
 * upload the source package to the ubuntu archive (the source package
 is the combination of the source, changes and diff files)

Once the source package has been uploaded to the Ubuntu archive, it is
automatically built into binary packages which are then published and
available for install.
Packages are published more or less right away for a development
release, up until a point close to Final Release.

If you want to learn how to make the changes to the menu, start by
getting the source. Then, if you want to learn how to publish it, you
may upload it to a personal PPA. We can help you with how to do that.

Does that explain it somewhat?