[ubuntu-studio-devel] Introduction.

Ross Gammon retail at the-gammons.net
Sat May 30 08:46:34 UTC 2015

On 05/30/2015 09:46 AM, Grant Burton wrote:
> Greetings all
>
> my name is Grant and I'm an American ex-pat living in Spain. I'm a
> musician/computer repair dude. I've been using Ubuntu studio several
> years because, somehow I ended up with an HP media center PC with a TV
> card and studio is the only operating system I could get everything to
> work. I do have another computer I could use. I just need ddr3 memory
> that should be here any day now.
>
> I'm not a programmer but I've been an official beta tester for windows,
> symantec and sound-forge. I've installed Ubuntu on over 50 different
> computers and Ubuntu studio on 5
>
> I use kdenlive & Ardour extensively
>
> I tried to upgrade my system to wily.... it took several hours and at
> first glance everything seem ok but it's not. I  upgraded because it was
> really hard to get the TV card to work and I was hoping it would keep
> the configuration… it didn't
>
> Question: how could I better help your project…. should I keep this
> installation or install from zero?

Hi Grant,

Welcome! I am sure Kai will followup with any advice that I forget, but
here goes....

It would be great to know your launchpad account id & IRC nickname so we
can spot you online.

There are lots of things you can help with. At the moment there is lots
of discussion about categorising all the applications to restructure the
menus and meta-packages to help users find and install relevant software.

With your background, bug triaging and testing is an obvious area:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/~ubuntustudio-bugs/+packagebugs
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/Testing/Testcases

You can see there are some packages on the first page with a very high
number of open bugs. I have been meaning for a long time to attack one
of them and do some bug triaging. Or maybe you would prefer to pick one
of your favourite packages. I think we could also do with improving the
documentation of troubleshooting procedures.

We would like to build up a portfolio of manual testcases that can be
used at the appropriate time before a release to check that everything
is working (2nd link).

There is lots of information on the wiki to help you get started, but it
can be overwhelming or out of date. So feel free to ask questions here.
There are no dumb questions!

Cheers,

Ross