[ubuntu-studio-devel] Feature Definition Discussion: Multimedia Application Categorization

lukefromdc at hushmail.com lukefromdc at hushmail.com
Wed May 27 20:14:23 UTC 2015

Separating non-free packages and especially those for which no source code
is available is important. One reason people use Linux distros is for safety in
handling sensitive data. Any FOSS multimedia is disproportionaltely likely to
be chosen by activists media crew all over the world, including places where
leaked raw video, audio, or name/address/phone/email lists get people tortured
and killed.

For years I've blacklisted any and all closed applications. This is because one can
be sure their code has not been audited for back doors, thus a paid-off programmer
could insert policeware at any time. My machines carry sensitive raw clips on encrypted
disks, any closed app has to be treated as a keylogger or data theft threat.

Lightworks is a potential example here: As a video editor it has access to raw clips. At
last report source code has yet to be released. It uses a phone-home licensing system.
All of that points to many opportunities for malicious access to raw clips, perhaps
even covertly over the objection of all but one of the Lightworks devs.

A menu and app installer system that simply lists Lightworks, Openshot, and Kdenlive together,
with only a single "license" line of text identifying which one is free software, could put those
better skilled at shooting video than identifying safe software on global front lines at risk.