[ubuntu-studio-devel] workflows

Jimmy Sjölund jimmy at sjolund.se
Tue May 26 18:54:17 UTC 2015

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 10:56 AM, Kaj Ailomaa <zequence at mousike.me> wrote:

> On Tue, May 26, 2015, at 10:43 AM, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:
> > We could go even further, and add a bunch of new meta packages for the
> > sub-categories we are working on.
> >
> > So, if we decide to go with only three main categories - audio, video
> > and graphics, we can have pretty much one meta for each sub-category. I
> > think this would make it easier for people to find certain software too
> > using Ubuntu Software Center, or our own installer.
> > Photography would still be its own meta - additionally new metas would
> > appear, such as 3D graphics, 2D graphics, etc.
> >

> Would be less work for one person to be responsible for a sub category
> than a main category. And, in that case, I'd like to see people
> volunteering for maintaining one or multiple sub categories.
>
> Every cycle, after the point where we reach Debian import freeze, we
> check what has changed in the Ubuntu repo regarding this subcategory,
> make some additions/changes if needed and do a quick test to make sure
> our selected applications actually work as intended.
>
> I'm liking this format more and more, the more I think about it. The
> downside is, there are more details - but if we can get more people
> involved, it's less work load per person, and easier to keep things
> apart.
>
> I've been working on how to create nice lists/tables of packages
> belonging to certain. There are three clear sections in Debian:
>  * sound
>  * graphics
>  * video
>
> And, getting a new list of packages for each cycle should be pretty
> trivial. I could do the work of sub categorizing all of the packages
> belonging to these three sections, to create tables for each sub
> category.
> Then, whoever is assigned to maintain a subcategory can use that
> list/table to do selections for the sub-meta and the work should just go
> much smoother.
>
> How does that sound?

I think it's a good idea to spread the work. However, I believe we need to
have a documented common way of organising so each sub-category follow the
same idea so to speak. Or someone should supervise and verify some is not
running too far on a new thread. I think Freedesktop would be the way to
go. I haven't used menus in a couple of years though so I'm not up to speed
at the moment.

/Jimmy