[ubuntu-studio-devel] workflows

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Tue May 26 08:56:27 UTC 2015

On Tue, May 26, 2015, at 10:43 AM, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:
> We could go even further, and add a bunch of new meta packages for the
> sub-categories we are working on.
>
> So, if we decide to go with only three main categories - audio, video
> and graphics, we can have pretty much one meta for each sub-category. I
> think this would make it easier for people to find certain software too
> using Ubuntu Software Center, or our own installer.
> Photography would still be its own meta - additionally new metas would
> appear, such as 3D graphics, 2D graphics, etc.

Would be less work for one person to be responsible for a sub category
than a main category. And, in that case, I'd like to see people
volunteering for maintaining one or multiple sub categories.

Every cycle, after the point where we reach Debian import freeze, we
check what has changed in the Ubuntu repo regarding this subcategory,
make some additions/changes if needed and do a quick test to make sure
our selected applications actually work as intended.

I'm liking this format more and more, the more I think about it. The
downside is, there are more details - but if we can get more people
involved, it's less work load per person, and easier to keep things
apart.

I've been working on how to create nice lists/tables of packages
belonging to certain. There are three clear sections in Debian:
 * sound
 * graphics
 * video

And, getting a new list of packages for each cycle should be pretty
trivial. I could do the work of sub categorizing all of the packages
belonging to these three sections, to create tables for each sub
category.
Then, whoever is assigned to maintain a subcategory can use that
list/table to do selections for the sub-meta and the work should just go
much smoother.

How does that sound?