[ubuntu-studio-devel] menu layout

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed May 20 07:15:40 UTC 2015

On Tue, 19 May 2015 15:06:28 -0700 (PDT), Len Ovens wrote:
>I would also like to rename mixers to something that would include
>audio utilities that are not used very often.
       ^^^^^^^^^

If it's not a sub menu name it "Audio utility", if it's a sub menu call
it "Utility".

>I don't want a photographer to dismiss Studio because photography is
>stuck in a little corner as a submenu of graphics.

Graphics art, typography and photography belong to each other.
Manipulating a photo is graphics art.

A sub menu "Photography" isn't a little corner like a sub menu "Other"
for not that wide spread arts such as
http://embroidermodder.org/news0.html would be.

For the individual software a user prefers, the user anyway needs
to design a menu on her/his own and then it's an advantage to have no
sub menus. When I start a session I run a script that checks the
installed packages and adds version numbers to the menu entries of some
applications, since that for some apps is important to me. By default
you can't customize a menu to satisfy every freakish need.

The "Audio and Video", resp. "Multimedia" menu is the only menu that
really is a mess, when "Pro-audio" apps are installed, that's why it
makes sense to customize it by default, but don't overdo it and stay
with upstream for most other menus.

Keep in mind that some Linux user use several distros, not all
users are devotees of one distro only. Freedsektop.org often is a PITA,
but sometimes it provides a useful consistency.

2 Cents from somebody who used Ubuntu Studio and who might use it in
the future again.