[ubuntu-studio-devel] Menu Layout

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Tue May 19 22:20:51 UTC 2015

On Wed, May 20, 2015, at 12:08 AM, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:

> On Tue, May 19, 2015, at 03:08 PM, Set Hallström wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > First things first: Len, i think you have very good points and it's
> > obviously passion not ranting :) Your goal is honorable, i really hope
> > for
> > the same turn out as you.
> >
> > I must say this discussion is a bit confusing to me, 3 things come out to
> > me:
> > - We want to follow the freedesktop standard,
> > - We all seem to agree freedesktop isn't flexible enough our case...
> > - we have actually been breaking the standard for a long time...
> >

> We haven't been breaking the standard very much, actually. And, the two
> categories that were not standards are aimed at becoming standards, so
> in this way the menu has actually been quite aligned with freedesktop
> categories.

..at least as far as the categories go. What we put in the menus is a
different thing. Since we do not populate the menu based on what is in
the desktop files, there are many errors.
Also, many desktop files are not "complete". This is the work we should
do upstream - to make sure all multimedia desktop files have correct
categories, and that we can use those to create our menu.