[ubuntu-studio-devel] Menu Layout

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Tue May 19 08:59:11 UTC 2015

..
> > you have to do it yourself... appears to be where this one sits.
>
> Personally, I would prefer to work with the standard as far as possible,
> even if
> it means carrying patches in Ubuntu and pushing them upstream to Debian,
> and
> further to the projects. But this is the long game, and I feel your pain
> (having
> experienced non-responsive/slow/resistive upstreams in other areas).

This is my opinion, and experience as well.

We should first aim at using standards, and when they don't work, we
work on improving them upstream.
I don't see a problem with using non standard menu categories, as long
as the categories we create are things we feel should be universal
standards, and that we at least aim at making them standardized
upstream.

> > If I am to make any changes. I need specifics, not vague comments with no
> > direction. That is why I proposed using a format like above, A diff kind
> > of format. The reason for putting it here is that others can see it, tell
> > me it is wrong (and where) and what the better way would be.
> >
> > I am quite good at manipulating menus in a way that works with different
> > DEs. Maybe not so good at knowing what the best layout is.
>
> [...]
>
> I think it is fine to carry on with our menu in the medium term. And
> maybe you
> are right, that our menu stub will win out in the end. But I was kind of
> hoping
> that working on an ideal structure would map reasonably well to all
> approaches.
> I was hoping we would end up with a good place for each "default"
> application in
> our menu, and then patching the desktop file to match it as best as we
> can
> within the constraints. WIth Set's work on the video/publishing
> categories, we
> should soon be in a place to try and present it all in some sort of
> table?

Let's map out the structure for the menu in a wiki. I'll post a link
here later.
Once we agree on the structure, we can implement it in the source.