[ubuntu-studio-devel] Menu Layout

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sun May 17 21:54:34 UTC 2015

On Sun, 17 May 2015, Set Hallstrom wrote:

> I think the audio menu is optimal like you depicted it. However, the
> graphics, photo, video and publishing need a little moving arround. I
> don't think it's necessary to have submenus like in the audio in these,
> except maybe for the video where a subdivison into "advanced" "basic"
> editor was suggested in the blueprint discussion.
>
> But here's what i think:
>
> -_Graphics_
> Missing the font manager
> rest is nice as is
I can fix that.

> -_photo_
> Which raw developer should stay? I vote for darktable.
> Shotwell, is a mess in my experience. Thunar+image viewer makes the jobb

Shotwell is the default desktop photo viewer. I do not know if it is in
our meta or ends up in there by default. I agree it could be removed even
if we have to blacklist it to do so.

> better. (does ristretto work nowadays) Importing large libraries to

ristretto is there, as far as I can tell (14.04 on my desktop) but does
not show on our menu or with xfce's Application Finder... but if I double
click on a *.jpg (for example) it is opened with "Image Viewer" and the
about box says it is ristretto 0.6.3. Our menu file says not to show it in
the Graphics Design menu, or Publishing... it is not mentioned else where
so I would guess it needs to be put in photography menu (where it is not
listed right now). I use it all the time and it starts fast and doesn't
seem to crash or cause other problems. I should add it to the photography
menu?, accessories menu?, graphics menu? It is not really a photograph
viewer so much as a general image viewer.

> -_video_
> Brasero and DVD styler should be moved to _publishing_, audio submenu
> should be removed

I think also that ardour (along with xjadeo) are becoming the goto for
adding audio to video rather than audacity.

> -_publishing_
> Is missing Brasero and DVD styler
> Why is fontmanager here? Should move to graphics.

Because I (I put it there, yes) just thought font -> used for making text
documents. When we first started the publishing workflow we were thinking
making books (ebooks for example) or web pages (even though we do not
include a web publishing tool). You are thinking in terms of fonts
(especially fancy fonts) being used as part of a graphic. Probably
correct. As we have stated we haven't really had people who thought in
graphics terms till now.

So for those who are following this, the changes suggested are:

- Remove Shotwell
- Show Image Viewer/Ristretto in menu (not sure where, graphics or
 	photography or both)
- Move Font managing/creation tools to graphics.
- Rethink Pubishing as a workflow and move CD/DVD creation tools there.

I would also like to add an audio utillities submenu to Audio Production
for japa, jaaa, meters, scopes and a tuner application (which I think we
should include).

Audio applications that users are likey to add (Rosegarden, Bitwig, non*,
tracktion) should be preplaced in the right menu.

Also Categories like AudioEditing, which by the way pulls in Ardour
binaries DL from the Ardour site and Tracktion without listing them in the
studio.menu file. Recorder could be audio or video but we may be able to
look for one or the other as well.

So why does mhwaveedit show itself in the AudioVideoEditing category? It
has no video editing at all. I would love to point people at it as a jack
based audio recorder/editor over audacity... but the GUI needs work.
Record should be easily visible rather than an option in the "play"
menu :P  Audacity does have some non-RT tools that nothing else does
though. (even though it's jack interface is painful to use and won't be
fixed)

www.ovenwerks.net