[ubuntu-studio-devel] Introduction.

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Sun May 17 11:04:04 UTC 2015

On Fri, May 15, 2015, at 10:36 PM, argumento wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I've been using ubuntu studio for the past 9 months, previously I used
> crunchbang, but I found the low latency kernel a pain to maintain. I've
> been using GNU/linux for the last 3 years.
>
> I'm answering to the call for contributors to ubuntu studio, I don't
> know much about coding, but I can design, edit video and animate a
> little (blender and Synfig). I'm from Mexico so english is not my first
> language, but I could help with translations (to and from spanish) or
> tutorial making.

Hi Benjamin.

You are welcome to join us, of course. There's no need to know any
coding for most of the work we do.

If you want to be a part of shaping the ISO, the first thing to do is to
set up a development environment, which in the first stage simply means
installing a development release of Ubuntu Studio on either a real
machine, or a virtual machine - depending on if you need workable
audio/video (a lot of stuff won't work well in a virtual machine).

After that, a reasonable first thing to take a look at is the default
applications we include in our metas - what we should not include, and
what more we should include (there is no great way of getting a complete
list of audio/video/graphics/photography/publishing applications, but we
could work on that).

Since we do not have anyone who speaks Spanish in our team, currently,
there has been no push towards translations or having a Spanish version
of our website, etc. All this is possible, if there is enough interest.
We have yet not made any youtube videos, but if we do, it would be good
to make them in more than one language.

For a complete development environment setup, please see
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/SetupDeveloperEnvironment. You will
at least need a launchpad account.

If you like, you can email me personally once you have a launchpad
account, and some sort of dev environment set up, and I will help you
further.

/Kaj Ailomaa - Ubuntu Studio project lead