[ubuntu-studio-devel] [Blueprint ubuntustudio-video-x] ubuntustudio-video X

Set Hallström sakrecoer at gmail.com
Tue May 12 18:55:27 UTC 2015

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 7:36 PM, <lukefromdc at hushmail.com> wrote:

> Kdenlive comes with a lot of dependencies but also a hell of a lot
> of capability combined with a GUI not as different from the paid
> video editors as blender's video editing GUI. It does add a lot of
> dependencies, but lots of times someone ends up needing one
> KDE application anyway,

That's a good point. A user with previous experience with video editors,
will be way more familiar to Kdenlive than blender.

How is the documentation for kdenlive? Is it possible to open a video
project from kdenlive on another OS? In terms of feature, how would you
compare kdenlive and blender? I've worked with kdenlive, only enough to
have a partial judgement. You on the other hand seem to be quite busy
with it and with video in general. I would love to read an A <-> B
comparison if any exist.

> Right now the real ugliness is having anything that depends on
> KDE 4 plus something that depends on kf5, as the newest version
> of kdenlive does. That should soon be resolved.
>
> Kdenlive is also an official part of the KDE 5 software suite
> (whatever it's official name is) and will probably thus end up a
> default install in Kubuntu at some point.

I'm not sure how to consider this information. On one hand it sounds good,
because if it's an official kubuntu application, the support and user base
will presumably be great. But the technical part seem challenging.
Do you think it's worth the effort? My skills won't allow me to help
very much on that level, so i guess i am asking on behalf of the
skilled ones.

--
Set Hallström