[ubuntu-studio-devel] [Blueprint ubuntustudio-video-x] ubuntustudio-video X

Set Hallstrom sakrecoer at gmail.com
Tue May 12 09:03:25 UTC 2015

My frustration issues with pitivi and openshot are not the lack of
features, its stability. They both hate my hair and have forced me to
pull it off too many times.

My first editing was on iMovie then later finalcut, then kdenliv and
finaly blender. My opinion about blender is that it's erroneous to
reduce blender to a mere 3d editing/animation software. The way i see
it, it's a complete movie making suit. A merge of 3ds max, finalcut,
aftereffects and photoshop in one single piece of aprox 200mb software.
I'm sure you have all seen Tears of Steel?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6MlUcmOul8
This movie was made 3 years ago: LOTS of things have happened since.

While i agree that blender has particularly unique interface, video
editing is NEVER easy.

Like Jimmy wrote:

> Kdenlive is quite powerful, but not the best GUI. This might have
> changed with the latest version though. You can with some work do a
> lot but it _more often require google skills_ and reading forums to
> understand how to do it.

I think this applies to any video software, from a beginner point of
view. No matter what level, the user is physically alone with it's
version of ubuntustudio, hence no matter what video software we put
there, what jimmy wrote applies:

> I think it's a big step for someone new to linux to give them an
> advance 3D application, here go do some videos!

This said, due to their pedagogic approach, i can see why either
openshot or pitivi should stay. But i firmly believe we should pick out one.

Kaj: There is a way to start blender with a different set of Environment
Variables including $BLENDER_USER_CONFIG (Directory for user
configuration files.) So it feasible.

Now, misunderstand me right, i'm open to include all of them as it is
now. But i think it would be less confusing with less choices. This is
solely based on my own expertise, where i have spent many hours working
with one, to realize in frustration that i should have started with
another one in the first place....

Let's find a good sollution :)

Have a great day y'all!

*set