[ubuntu-studio-devel] [Blueprint ubuntustudio-video-x] ubuntustudio-video X

Jimmy Sjölund jimmy at sjolund.se
Mon May 11 12:32:19 UTC 2015

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 11:51 AM, Set Hallstrom <sakrecoer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
> On 2015-05-11 10:25, Jimmy Sjölund wrote:
> > Blueprint changed by Jimmy Sjölund:
> >
> > Whiteboard set to:
> > - Investige implication of Kdenlive becoming official KDE application
> > and future development, impact of kde libraries etc.: TODO
> >

> This is an interesting question! At the moment, there are 4 choices for
> video editing:
> - ptivi,
> - openshot
> - kdenlive,
> - blender
>
> On a personal note, i have to confess that ptivi and openshot have given
> me nothing but frustrations. They are the reason i installed kdenlive
> back when it was not included in ubuntustudio. I also believe kdenlive
> is the only reason i have kde libraires.
>
> While i must say Kdenlive is a great tool, Blender VSE has become
> amazingly powerful. So much that i had almost forgotten about kdenlive
> all together...

The reason I put it up there is to check if it will affect Ubuntu Studio or
not. It could be that it will continue to work just as before, but it
raised some questions when I read Kdenlive's latest updates:
-----------------------------------
We stick to KDE Applications release schedule, which means one bugfix
release every month, one feature improved version every 4 months.

Since we are now based on Qt5/KF5, you NEED KDE Frameworks 5 to run
Kdenlive.

You will have to run a recent distribution offering KF5, this may be
problematic at the beginning (you can stick to 0.9.10)...
-----------------------------------
So it could be that 0.9.10 would be that last version for Ubuntu Studio, or
not.

I have tried several video editors over the year and they all have their
advantages and disadvantages. PiTiVi and openshot I would say are in the
same category, easy to do home videos but not suitable for any medium or
advanced editing. Making a amateur home music video with more than one
video and one audio file is IMHO a mess.
Kdenlive is quite powerful, but not the best GUI. This might have changed
with the latest version though. You can with some work do a lot but it more
often require google skills and reading forums to understand how to do it.
Not click-and-drag like in Mac or Windows environments.
Blender, to me, is more of a 3D application and not really a video editor
even though you would be able to do a music video in Blender. I think it's
a big step for someone new to linux to give them an advance 3D application,
here go do some videos!

So far Kdenlive have been the least worst choice. I know a Swedish film
maker who's latest project are entirely done in Kdenlive.

Then there is Lightworks and Cinelerra which are on the advanced side. They
have a bit of more tricky licensing, but I haven't studied them in detail.

/Jimmy