[ubuntu-studio-devel] Graphics Categories

Set Hallstrom sakrecoer at gmail.com
Sun May 10 17:59:39 UTC 2015

Thanks for getting back so quick Ross! :)
On 2015-05-10 18:16, Ross Gammon wrote:

> Hmm. This probably won't fit too well with the Freedesktop categories
> which are quite rigid [1]. For the "visual" applications, they can
> really only go under Graphics or Video. It is possible to add a new
> category when it is completely missing from the standard ones with "X-"
> strings [2]. Maybe we should try sticking to the standard categories
> first and see what it would look like?

I think the more standardized the better. But then again "publishing"
would be an exception to that rule? At the moment, i think only scribus
and muse score are relevant apps for that category. Font forge, font
manager and simple scan are within the scope via graphics, but have
little to nothing to do with publishing. Or am i missing something?

> Unless we want an application to appear in multiple places in the menu,
> we will have to choose the "best fit" category. For debtags [3] we can
> go mad! The more keywords you can think of that someone might search
> for, the better.

This is why i'm thinking about putting everything graphcis, photo,
video, publishing under "Visual" It would allow to diminish this
repetition. But at the same time i can see a highly valuable pedagogic
in having repeating instances of apps. For example, it is probably not
obvious for a beginner that blender has a very powerfull VSE... But then
again, shouldn't the blender launcher in video open blender in its VSE mode?

However, i understand there is a vital cross DE compatibility issue like
Ralf pointed out in his input.

> Excellent! This work started by trying to assign categories and tags to
> the work previously done in Ubuntu Studio to define workflows [4].
> Basically, I had started on Audio and Graphics, and there was Video,
> Photography and Publishing to go.
>
> Would you like to have a go at fleshing out the video, photography, and
> publishing work flows for both freedesktop [5] and debtags [3]? You can
> do it by email, or directly on the wiki and send us all a link when you
> are ready for feedback.

I'd love to give it a try! :) I will email you as soon as i think its
ready. Probably arround thursday next week.

> For both freedesktop and debtags, I found it best to go through the list
> of existing categories linked to from the wiki, and add the relevant
> ones in. Then try and brainstorm the missing ones. For new categories, I
> listed them in the table, and then at the bottom listed the ones that do
> not already exist.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ross
>
> [1] http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apa.html