[ubuntu-studio-devel] Graphics Categories

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun May 10 15:06:17 UTC 2015

On Sun, 10 May 2015 15:56:43 +0200, Set Hallstrom wrote:
>| Visuals
>  | 2d
>  | 3d
>  | video
>  | publishing

Don't make it too freakish, people might be used to "standard" menus.

Resp. make it freakish, but on top provide what ever is the standard
menu for Ubuntu/Xubuntu.

For my Arch Linux with openbox and fbpanel I decided to make the menu
ralfish, but on top "Applications" does provide a freedesktop.org menu
and in addition the ralfish menu mentions the shortcut to open
xfce4-appfinder.

http://picpaste.com/pics/menu.1431269076.png

Too funny, the freedesktop.org based thingy provided by fbpanel has a
menu entry named "Audio & Video" and the xfce4-appfinder names it
"Multimedia".

However, assumed I would like to have a menu "Visuals", I would add it
to the ralfish part of the menu, but still provide the "standard" menu
on top.

You also could it do vice versa. On top provide an Ubuntu Studio menu,
while the rest of the menu is the standard Ubuntu/Xubuntu menu.

People might use another Ubuntu and be used to their menu and later
install Ubuntu Studio packages. They likely like the Ubuntu Studio
menus, but sometimes they perhaps still want to use a menu they are
used to.

2 Cents,
Ralf