[ubuntu-studio-devel] Feature Definition Discussion: Multimedia Application Categorization

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Tue Jun 16 11:16:50 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015, at 12:48 PM, Grant Frank Burton wrote:
> ok I see vokoscreen
>
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 12:41 PM, Grant Frank Burton
> <bbbabynet at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I wish there was a program like the one for windows called VirtualDub
> > Because there is no bulk video editing that works fast. Also it should
> > capture
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 12:00 PM, Kaj Ailomaa <zequence at mousike.me> wrote:

This isn't about selecting packages for our meta as of yet. The name of
this thread may be confusing, since we are only working on freedesktop
categorization right now.

Freedesktop categories are listed in the desktop file. For example, in
/usr/share/applications/ardour3.desktop, you will have a line that says:
   Categories=AudioVideo;Audio;

We are currently working on improving those categories for every desktop
file in a package belonging to the Debian sections: sound, graphics and
video (this may be extended in the future, as some multimedia
applications are probably outside these sections).