[ubuntu-studio-devel] wily in gedit bottom of page appears and disappears

lukefromdc at hushmail.com lukefromdc at hushmail.com
Sat Jun 13 19:29:12 UTC 2015

Gedit 3.10 as used in Ubuntu is now very old, if it has been rebuilt over gtk3.16 this may be the problem! in Gtk 3.16 the overlay scrollbars create issues with covering content and blocking editing.   Blocking this requires setting the environmental variable GTK_OVERLAY_SCROLLING=0 before calling the application. I start my entire MATE session this way due to all the GTK3.16 scrollbar issues but I have the overlay scrollbars without this issue in Pluma built with gtk3.16 when editing files as root. I also still have an older Ubuntu version of gedit 3.10 built with an older version of gtk3 but running over gtk3.16 without issues,. Only the bottom line can be covered by the scrollbar, but in some apps about 1/2 inch of space can be covered with the theme background color. Synaptic has this behavior, for instance.

Pluma built with gtk2 is guaranteed not to have this problem,looks and works exactly like previous gedit3.10 in the right theme, and is a "standalone" that can even be run in a MATE-gtk3 environment, though it cannot be built with gtk2 over a gtk3 MATE install.  This is s quick fix, using any released version of Pluma with gtk2 from existing repos.

Pluma is maintained, Gedit 3.10 is not. Tne 1.10.0 release has an ugly statusbar issue whe built with gtk3 but the newest git code has the fixes for this. They went upstream after I fixed half the problem myself and submitted a patch. Someone else found the other  half and both fixes are now used together.

The newest Pluma 1.10.0 with all the newest fixes from git https://github.com/mate-desktop/pluma
will build and run just fine with gtk3.16, I've had no issues with it. I have run it without getting disappearing text issues in Debian Unstable updated to gtk3.16, similar to the gtk3.16 that is now in Wily's repos.  Only the scrollbars are screwy, and in my setup only when invoked as root and thus ignoring my session-wide environmental variable.