[ubuntu-studio-devel] wily-dvd-i386.iso

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Mon Jun 8 21:10:03 UTC 2015

On Mon, 8 Jun 2015, Grant Frank Burton wrote:

> Iv'e been downloading from here
> http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/340/builds/95273/downloads
>
> with ZSYNC, Http and RSYNC. They all fail

Not sure where that points at, but the consistant URL I use is:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustudio/dvd/current/

This is the current daily build. Because you are using the 32 bit ISO I
downloaded that one it is called wily-dvd-i386.iso

I open a terminal and then plug the usb stick in. In the terminal I type:
dmesg and the very last line looks like this:
[  464.341392] sd 10:0:0:0: [sde] Attached SCSI removable disk
That tells me my USB stick is (in this case) /dev/sde Write it down if you
can't remember.

Then in the terminal I cd to where the ISO is. for example:
cd ~/Downloads
If the ISO is in your Dwonloads directory.

Now the command to put the ISO on a USB stick in this case would be:

sudo dd if=wily-dvd-i386.iso of=/dev/sde

This will take a while and will erase anything on the USB stick. It will
make it look like it is about 2.5 Gb provided it is bigger than that... In
other words the USB stick must be at least 4GB. Also to use it again
afterwards will require reformatiing it as the process of writing the ISO
to it overwrites the FAT format.

So far I have done all of this on ubuntustudio 14.04.2 (I think .2 is
where it is at)

After The dd command finishes, unmount the USB stick or just reboot.

That is how I ended up here. I chose the Live mode (second option at boot)
And it has worked fine for me so far.

Some things to check:
start Qjackctl and set it up to your audio IF. Open the messages window
and then start. In the messages window I look for the line:
  JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
Then I look for no errors between that line and:
  New client 'system' with PID 0

No I don't know why the new qjackctl looks like it was made with tk/tcl
from thge 90s  :)  I guess fashion in GUIs like womens clothes goes in
circles.

Errors above that line are probably ok and just show that jack was not yet
running. Next you should see all your ports get added and finally the
pulse ports. This quick test tells me that jack is properly installed and
can aquire Real time status so my user and system are set up right.

That is the basic test we all do. But from there testing as many
applications as possible is a bonus. I normally play somthing from youtube
to check audio/video playback. I normally have to open pavucontrol and
switch playback to jacksink to hear sound assuming qjackctl/jack are still
running (I do leave them running as this gives me a check PA/pa-jack/jackd
in one go).

Just so you know I have been doing exactly what I am typing as I have been
typing. You tube does give a warning about not having the right plugin to
play... and then plays anyway. Full screen works too.

If you can't get this far.... the ISO won't boot...
From: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions
at the boot screen hit F6 and try with nomodeset (arrow down and hit
enter when nomodeset is highlighted). This is the most common thing that
will help get past an unknown video setup. There are some other boot
options as well.

Sorry it took so long for me to test.

Now to install... I generally install from a live session so I can watch
logs if I want... I will have to shut you tube off thoug as it may
interfere with ubiquity as memory is a big part of my harddrive right now.

For install, I always choose "Something Else" because I want what I want
:) and I don't want this instalation to interfere with my working
partition.

Even though I have not asked to change disk size, I get a warning that I
am about to  :P  This Bug has been there for years and seems to be "won't
fix" so choose "go back" unless you reall are changing partition sizes. I
do not want this partition to end up default for boot so I set boot loader
to this partition (/dev/sdb9 in this case). I will have to boot my working
partition  and run sudo update-grub before this will show up on the boot
menu properly.

I choose a throwaway name and password in case I want to send in a bug
report. Joe Tester, user= joe, password = testing or something like that.
Just something different from any password you use in real life but is
easy to remember.

The logs I was talking about?

less /var/log/syslog

then hit F (uppercase) will show you the new data as it comes in. I have
had trouble using tail -f for this in the past so I use less instead. If
you then want to stop incoming text and scroll around to look at things
control c will take you out of F mode and put you in srcoll mode to use
pageup/down.

Right now the non-free stuff is downloading (flash it says).

Ok time to reboot and try it.

www.ovenwerks.net