[ubuntu-studio-devel] jack_control

ttoine ttoine at ttoine.net
Tue Jun 2 08:42:33 UTC 2015

I agree with Len, with external monitoring, you don't need low latency when
recording and mixing with Ardour. At all. I do that all the time.

About virtual instruments, you can play with up to 8 or 10 ms of latency,
your brain is made for that: in real life,  imagine you are on a big stage
and your guitar amp is 4 or 5 meters away from you ? (I let you compute
that)

Even playing the piano, mechanics introduce a short latency between the
time you press a key, and the time the hammer hit the string.

Some digital synth (roland, clavia) and effects (tc) have a latency up to 4
ms. And it is ok to play them, as long as you don't chain too many of them.

By the way, I don't use virtual instruments. But I used to set up an old
1ghz celeron laptop as a live effect for my bass, with a basic presonus USB
sound card. Ubuntu Studio was just working great.

My 2 cents ;-)