[ubuntu-studio-devel] jack_control

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Tue Jun 2 00:46:32 UTC 2015

On Mon, 1 Jun 2015, Hartmut Noack wrote:

> Ubuntu Studio is still used by some musicians but to be honest: with
> specs as you described them and consequently more than 20 ms latency
> you cannot record multitrack and you cannot play virtual instruments.

Less than 1ms when I want it with PA off. and jack set to 16/2 on Ubuntu
Studio with no xruns. Very usable.

I meantioned using 20ms latency was usable with external monitoring, not
that it was the best that could be done with UbuntuStudio. Yes you can
multitrack very well with high latency with external monitoring, however
there is really no need to do that as UbuntuStudio will do well at lower
latencies even with 12 or more tracks with jack at 32/2 (which is where it
happens to be just now with 17 tracks). I have found that 128/2 is on the
edge of useful with for virtual instruments or live effects, but I can run
16/2 with guitarix and no drop outs for that.

You come across as a troll (without any real and useful info).

www.ovenwerks.net