[ubuntu-studio-devel] jack_control

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Mon Jun 1 21:23:40 UTC 2015

Am 25.04.2015 um 19:36 schrieb Len Ovens:

> I should be using DEV=hw:D66, Frame could be 1024 or even 512 on this
> machine.

I use jack like this:

/usr/bin/jackd  -t1000 -dalsa -dhw:M2496 -r48000 -p128 -n2 -Xseq

Big Ardour4 Projects and no problem. I have a handfull of xruns though,
when I play Minecraft while Ardour is playing ;-)
And PA is running as configured out of the box...

even 512 frames is way beyond usability for music, let alone 1024

> (I use 64 with PA still connected with no issues) USB,FW and AoIP
> should probably use PERIOD=3

should not be needed anymore, the 3 periods workaround was only useful
for antique USB-drivers some 3-4 years ago....

Anyway: I use the KXStudio stuff and it just works.

A year ago I still had a Quadcore built around 2008 with 2 Gig RAM, this
one needed 256 frames for bigger Ardour projects on Fedora 20 ootb....

Ubuntu Studio is still used by some musicians but to be honest: with
specs as you described them and consequently more than 20 ms latency
you cannot record multitrack and you cannot play virtual instruments.

And no: the layout/graphics thing does not need some special distro,
those applications run perfectly well on *any* linux.

best regards

HZN