[ubuntu-studio-devel] Grant Introduction WAS: Re: Introduction.

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Mon Jun 1 08:58:23 UTC 2015

On Sat, May 30, 2015, at 09:46 AM, Grant Burton wrote:
> Greetings all
>
> my name is Grant and I'm an American ex-pat living in Spain. I'm a
> musician/computer repair dude. I've been using Ubuntu studio several
> years
> because, somehow I ended up with an HP media center PC with a TV card and
> studio is the only operating system I could get everything to work. I do
> have another computer I could use. I just need ddr3 memory that should be
> here any day now.
>
> I'm not a programmer but I've been an official beta tester for windows,
> symantec and sound-forge. I've installed Ubuntu on over 50 different
> computers and Ubuntu studio on 5
>
> I use kdenlive & Ardour extensively
>
> I tried to upgrade my system to wily.... it took several hours and at
> first
> glance everything seem ok but it's not. I  upgraded because it was really
> hard to get the TV card to work and I was hoping it would keep the
> configuration… it didn't
>
> Question: how could I better help your project…. should I keep this
> installation or install from zero?

Hi Grant!

Sounds like you have some experience in installations, and we could use
some more help with testing.
There's no formal testing for a while, since we're mostly doing planning
atm.

It's best if you have a machine exclusively for testing/development, so
that you don't need to bork your production environment. It's quite
alright to use a virtual machine for a lot of the work, though for low
latency audio and some of the video/graphics you will need an actual
machine. Dual boot is ok too.

A fresh install is recommended. Best to get rid of any old settings,
even user settings and start fresh to make sure to not have any odd
variables floating around.

If you like, you can begin testing right away, and as soon as you find a
bug, a problem, or you have any questions, just let us know.
Else, you can just hang back for now, and we'll get to the more formal
testing later, which will not commence until for another month at least.

You are also wecome to join any discussions we have until then which
concerns planning.

That's about all I can think of right now :)

/Kaj