[ubuntu-studio-devel] Where do we get information about Ubuntu's systemd?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Jul 29 10:49:45 UTC 2015

My /etc/default/rcS is set to assume local time, but if I leave
Ubuntu, the hardware clock is set to UTC.

$ grep UTC /mnt/moonstudio/etc/default/rcS
# assume that the BIOS clock is set to UTC time (recommended)
UTC=no

I'm aware that it's recommended to use UTC, but all installs work just
fine with local time, even old Ubuntu installs are ok, just the new
install does cause this issue. It's an issue, since other Linux enforce
fsck's and rebooting after the fsck's at startup.

Regarding https://bugs.launchpad.net it seemingly already was an issue a
year ago that UTC=no in /etc/default/rcS is being ignored with systemd.

I can't find any up-to-date Ubuntu systemd documentation. The German
https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Baustelle/systemd from 21. Juli (July) 2015
11:36 even links to https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/systemd . The
Arch systemd has absolutely nothing in common with the Ubuntu's systemd.

It's strange that nobody mentions timedatectl in the bug reports.

Nowhere all the still existing and by default used upstart init scripts
are mentioned. How do they interact with systemd unit rules?

I wonder if it makes sense to subscribe to
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users , since a few
days ago I unsubscribed from
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users regarding all
the hate and censorship on this list. Fortunately I wasn't emotional
involved.

I guess I'll give this list a shot.