[ubuntu-studio-devel] Where do we get information about Ubuntu's systemd?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Jul 28 23:03:09 UTC 2015

Hi,

for at least 2½ years, perhaps for longer, I'm using a clean systemd
Arch Linux install. Now I'm using Ubuntu's hybrid init script/systemd
for the very first time. I run into issues.

The first issue already is solved, I needed to disable an init script,
before I could use my own systemd service.

Now I wonder why timedatectl does show the same settings for my Arch
Linux and my Ubuntu, but after running Ubuntu and rebooting to Arch
Linux, the hwclock goes wrong. This doesn't happen when rebooting from
other installs, e.g. from an Ubuntu using Upstart.

I also wonder why the minimal server install already loads modules and
enables services without user interaction.

I've got two requests.

1. How can I chose between local TZ and UTC for the RTC, when
timedatectl is ignored?

2. Is there a documentation about Ubuntu's systemd?
I'm running the Ubuntu Wily Werewolf (development branch), but since
Ubuntu 15.04 (Vivid Vervet) already dropped upstart, there might be a
documentation available.

It's freakish to search for an init script, that needs to be disabled,
before I can use a systemd service.

root at moonstudio:~# ls -hAl /etc/rcS.d/S09networking /etc/init.d/networking
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4.7K Jun  2 09:32 /etc/init.d/networking
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   20 Jul 25 22:50 /etc/rcS.d/S09networking -> ../init.d/networking
root at moonstudio:~# update-rc.d networking disable
insserv: warning: current start runlevel(s) (empty) of script `networking' overrides LSB defaults (S).
insserv: warning: current stop runlevel(s) (0 6 S) of script `networking' overrides LSB defaults (0 6).
insserv: warning: current start runlevel(s) (empty) of script `networking' overrides LSB defaults (S).
insserv: warning: current stop runlevel(s) (0 6 S) of script `networking' overrides LSB defaults (0 6).
root at moonstudio:~# ls -hAl /etc/rcS.d/S09networking /etc/init.d/networking
ls: cannot access /etc/rcS.d/S09networking: No such file or directory
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4.7K Jun  2 09:32 /etc/init.d/networking
root at moonstudio:~# systemctl enable alice.service
Created symlink from /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/alice.service to /lib/systemd/system/alice.service.

Regards,
Ralf