[ubuntu-studio-devel] How wide spread is Linux spyware?

Set Hallstrom sakrecoer at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 08:21:34 UTC 2015

On 2015-07-11 14:49, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> On Saturday, July 11, 2015 06:49 PM, Michael Höhne wrote:
>> After all, free software is about user empowerment.

Bare in mind that I am not particularly well suited to feed this
discussion, but i think this sentence by Micheal Höhne resumes the level
on which ubuntustudio can intervene: empowerment through knowledge and
awareness.

Security is a life hygenia, not an OS. It seems to be a commonly and
wide spread myth that GNU/linux == security. Maybe the community should
work on its role in how to change that. Especially given the LARGE
amount of software ubuntustudio distributes by default; its fairly
impossible to guarantee anything.

I appreciate this discussion for that reason, i think we need to set up
some security FAQ. Perhaps Ralf and lukefromdc wants to search through
the packages to establish a list of homecry software, vs. cool software?

Because it is still possible to unplug a ubuntustudio system from
internet and run it, i think the community can do a lot to help in this
issue, by means of information, without having to change very much to
the actual distributed product.

yours,

--
Set Hallstrom