[ubuntu-studio-devel] How wide spread is Linux spyware?

lukefromdc at hushmail.com lukefromdc at hushmail.com
Sat Jul 11 22:16:49 UTC 2015

The issue he reported came from "safebrowsing" setting a Google "prefs"
cookie that could not be individually deleted. It can be deleted by deleting
ALL cookies, returns on next use of the browser with "safebrowsing"
enabled.

The "prefs" cookie gets special handling, you have to  delete ALL cookies to
force making a new cookie databse without it. The individual cookie
deletion system does NOT delete the Google "prefs" cookie. I never see that
cookie with my setup, but I've gone through about/config disabling a hell of
a lot of stuff.

Go into about:config. search "safebrowsing" and disable everything, blank
out all URL's just to be safe. Then delete all cookies. Let me know if starting
with a default Firefox you still get the Google "prefs" cookie after this.