[ubuntu-studio-devel] How wide spread is Linux spyware?

lukefromdc at hushmail.com lukefromdc at hushmail.com
Sat Jul 11 18:02:58 UTC 2015

One of the most important things you can do to protect yourself is to ensure that
Google does not get your surfing history. If you use the "safebrowsing" database
(phishing" protection), Google gets a record of every URL you attempt to reach.
This is probably a major resource used by the FBI, NSA, et all to spy on people.
It is also known that Google search histories are widely turned to by law enforcement.

Therefore, the single most important things you can do in Firefox is probably:

1: disable "safebrowsing" by turning off "block reported attack sites" and
"block reported web forgeries." Having done this be sure never to bank
online!

After that you need to

3: Delete all cookies once to permanently remove the Google "prefs" cookie
4: Disable all 3ed party cookies, no exceptions

Just to be sure,

4: go to about: config, enter the names "google"  "facebook" and "twitter" and
delete all URL's except for any blacklists you may have set.

At this point your browser is no longer an active piece of Google spyware,  but there
are other ways to spy on users with any browser. Securing browsers against this to
the levels required for the kind of work I do is a discussion of it's own and is always
changing.  Right now I use NoScript, Ghostery (set to block, not just list trackers!),
and CanvasBlocker, but this is an ever-evolving arms race against commercial trackers.

At this time the NSA is known to exploit tracking cookies but I have not heard of any
court cases where ad or tracker data was used in open court to identify someone for
a warrant or as evidence to secure a conviction. Like in chess however, I seek to stay
several moves ahead of my enemies.