[ubuntu-studio-devel] Good Night.

lukefromdc at hushmail.com lukefromdc at hushmail.com
Thu Jan 8 03:47:23 UTC 2015

Audacity is very good for applying effects to a single soundtrack, and
it has a basic multitrack editor.  It's damned good for news and video
soundtrack editing I've used it for that since 2004, and  versions all the
way back to 1.0.  Ardour is another sound editor and is almost exactly the
opposite: a full featured multitrack editor with far fewer available effects
but an interface with many of the same features I remembered from
analog multitrack tape machines.

I've not used Ardour much simply because my recording and editing scenarios
are better served by Audacity.  If I were recording albums almost all the work
would be in Ardour, unless I needed to export a track, apply effects from Audacity,
and then re-import it back into the main multitrack.  There can be issues in
Audacity with aligning sequentially-recorded tracks caused by latency and latency
compensation in some cases, I suspect that alone would make it not ideal for
recording a band.

Neither program fits all needs, that's why both programs are included.