[ubuntu-studio-devel] how can I alter the username in a live session

Thanassis Silis djnass_18 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 4 18:03:18 UTC 2015

Hi Len,
thank you for all your help. It has been valuable.
Here are my findings:

indeed altering the default user fron initrd is the way forward:
infact I had to replace the username and hostname in

<initrd_root>/etc/casper.conf

and also to uncomment the "flavour" line below.

no need to alter the same values in

<initrd_root>/scripts/casper

sadly I do not know what these are there for.

Now , i'm not sure about persistency - i'll have to get back to you on this one - because I was doing my tests and running my live sessions from a pxe-booting and nfs-mounting virtual machine.

so soon i'll try creating a liveUSB stick, and i'll update one last time the initrd and squashfs there and i'll see how this very compact and portable OS works to my liking:)

take care and thanks for the help!