[ubuntu-studio-devel] how can I alter the username in a live session

Mike Holstein mikeh789 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 04:02:28 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 12:27 PM, Thanassis Silis <djnass_18 at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi all.
> I would like to ask a sort of low-level question the developers of the
> live session.
> Basically, I see that with respect to "ubuntu", the live session username
> for "ubuntustudio" is "ubuntustudio".
> The same is true for the hostname.
>
> What I would like to do is create a live session with my custom
> username/hostname. As we speak I have extracted the filesystem.squashfs
> from a liveCD, but I cannot find the correct location to alter these
> values. Could you point me in the right direction?

go for it!.. any links or resources you find for main ubuntu, or main linux
will be relevant.. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization
for example

what i did, in a similar case.. i made a close of the OS as i wanted it.
when restoring the image, i changed the hostnames as i wanted.

it really depends on what you want. if you want a bootable USB stick with
ubuntustudio on it, that has a "custom" hostname, you can just do a normal
installation onto that USB stick, and set the name at install..

> Please see this link for a more extended version of what I am trying to
> do:
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/579757/how-can-i-configure-my-live-xlkubuntu-to-have-my-username-and-not-autologin/580629?noredirect=1#comment802939_580629

to specifically answer this question, i just dont use a live instance. i
install, and find that meets my needs better... does it for you?

> thank you in advance for your help.

cheers..

MH

likethecow.com