[ubuntu-studio-devel] Voting System, WAS:Re: Next project lead

Jimmy Sjölund jimmy at sjolund.se
Mon Dec 28 22:06:30 UTC 2015

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 11:57 AM, Kaj Ailomaa <zequence at mousike.me> wrote:

> The common voting system is when each voter has one vote, and can put it
> on one candidate. The one who gets the most votes, wins (don't know the
> proper term for this system). This is simple and accurate if there are
> only two candidates. This is what Xubuntu used for their last vote, with
> only two nominees.

I was thinking in line of majority vote, where everyone in a team get one
vote. With the exception that if there is a draw the current Project Lead
would get the casting vote.

1 candidate - no vote, the sole candidate becomes project lead
> 2 candidates - simple majority vote (everyone has one vote, the winner
> requires above 50% of votes)
> 3 or more candidates - condorcet method (vote for three candidates, by
> ranking them 1, 2, 3 )
>
> # WHERE TO VOTE
>
> Xubuntu did their vote openly on the mailing list, but as said, only two
> candidates.
> Ubuntu community council uses this http://civs.cs.cornell.edu/, which is
> based on the condorcet method.

I have not read up that much on the link above but as long as the votes are
registered and able to be archived for future reference, I think it's a
good idea. If it works for the council if should work for us.

/Jimmy