[ubuntu-studio-devel] Voting System, WAS:Re: Next project lead

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Mon Dec 28 10:57:46 UTC 2015

I will confirm the date for the vote next week, if no one objects by
then, and announce it.

...but, we still need a method for the vote. I'm making some proposals
here based on what other Debian/Ubuntu communities use.

# VOTING SYSTEM (information and proposal)

The common voting system is when each voter has one vote, and can put it
on one candidate. The one who gets the most votes, wins (don't know the
proper term for this system). This is simple and accurate if there are
only two candidates. This is what Xubuntu used for their last vote, with
only two nominees.

Debian, among others (Ubuntu community council), uses
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condorcet_method for their project lead
vote. This works best with three candidates or more. IMO, this method
will slightly favor candidates who are less controversial, and perhaps
also reflects the community's wishes more accurately.

If there are more than three candidates, one may want to divide the vote
into two rounds, where two or three finalists remain in the second
round. But, this to me seems interesting only with a very big pool of
candidates.

Since I have very little experience in this sort of thing, I don't have
very strong opinions myself. I do think it's good to have an accurate
system which suits our organization. And, so, I'm proposing this, based
on how many candidates we have:

1 candidate - no vote, the sole candidate becomes project lead
2 candidates - simple majority vote (everyone has one vote, the winner
requires above 50% of votes)
3 or more candidates - condorcet method (vote for three candidates, by
ranking them 1, 2, 3 )

# WHERE TO VOTE

Xubuntu did their vote openly on the mailing list, but as said, only two
candidates.
Ubuntu community council uses this http://civs.cs.cornell.edu/, which is
based on the condorcet method.

I propose we use http://civs.cs.cornell.edu/, no matter the number of
candidates. Using the condorcet method with two candidates is the same
as a simple 50% majority vote, so technically there will be no
difference.

# WHO VOTES

I've proposed this before, and have seen no objections so far, but
adding it here again as a proposal:

Anyone who is in a moderated Ubuntu Studio launchpad team is allowed to
vote, which is evidence of somehow having been actively involved in
Ubuntu Studio development (one who is not part of such a team yet is
noklam, who was highly active for a little while a couple of weeks ago.
If he appears again before the vote, I will gladly add him to the
contributor team).

All the teams can be seen here
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/TeamStructure.

# CONCLUSION

I know these are busy times for a lot of folks, but I'm sure there is
little controversy with these proposals. So, if no one objects before
next Monday, I will announce the vote with all relevant information.

Jan 25th: Nominee Window closes
Feb 1st: Vote begins, and is open for one full week