[ubuntu-studio-devel] ubuntu-studio-devel Digest, Vol 104, Issue 32

set public at sakrecoer.com
Sun Dec 20 20:04:35 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I have been computing this issue since i read it and i might have an
idea that i want to introduce to you. But first things first.

On 2015-12-20 10:20, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> I'm sure that this isn't meant with the Ubuntu philosophy of
> "humanity towards others".

I may not speak for all or in the name of ubuntu as a whole, but this
type of advertising is _not_ compatible with my idea of Ubuntu.
As usual, Ralf is here to remind us in a very upfront German but also
radical way, that some of the free-software's main UPS (Unique Selling
Points) is a strong ethic, user respect and human values. I may not
always agree with the phrasing, but the content of Ralf ideas is very
pertinent and i appreciate them.

---------
Now for the issue, luke has a great point:

On 2015-12-20 19:58, lukefromdc at hushmail.com wrote:
> Artwork and even software can be posted to Archive.org. I have a
> whole set of debian packages for MATE built with gtk3 plus my  modded
> "UbuntuStudio Legacy" GTK 2/3 and icon themes there:
>
> https://archive.org/details/DebianPackagesForMate-desktopWityGtk3AndCustomPanelTheme

Archive.org

may be one of the last rampart of Internet content providers
with an ethic compatible with the stance of free-software and the human
stance of Ubuntu. And i think we should use it. Open an /Official/
account on archive.org for Ubuntu-studio comes with a dilemma: *to what
email account*?

Anyone from the PR account could do it to its own address, but if we
connect official Ubuntu-studio accounts to individuals, if anything
would happen to the person in charge of that account, we would all have
to start from scratch; explaining which account is the right one,
rebuilding trust, follower-base, update URL's in posts etc etc... Maybe
this has been discussed 1000 times before, and there is an existing
solution? If so, please share the method with the current PR-Team. If
not, i propose the following:

Set-up an email forwarding, i.e. pr at ubuntustudio.org. This email address
is to be forwarded to whomever is PR team leader. Decisions will keep
being taken in group, but the final administrative decision is up to the
team leader.

> I don't see any reason why UbuntuStudio couldn't create a standing
> account there and use it for artwork, themes, and if necessary
> software packages.

This is great, and probably the easiest way. I may be thinking to
optimistically, but i have an idea that may give us both a system for
wallpaper-competitions uploads, and teach/encourage users to familiarize
themselves with bug-repports and Launchpad.

Why not file a bug for missing wallpapers in the artwork branch, and let
the users upload fixes to it?

I understand this may be far stretched and might filter out many good
graphic inclined users that are not interested in learning bzr and so
forth. But if one needs to create an account to participate, why not
create an account on something that is affiliated to ubuntu-studio
rather than a complete 3rd part that is far beyond our reach?

A last resort, given the actual lightweight of a wallpaper picture is to
ask users to send there contribution to an email address.

In the hope you will togetherstand my desire to reach you in an
inclusive, constructive and long lasting manner way, without having to
compromise with third party content providers,
Looking forward to read your thoughts,

--
Set Sakrecoer