[ubuntu-studio-devel] Ubuntu Studio and Pulseaudio

brian at linuxsynths.com brian at linuxsynths.com
Mon Dec 14 09:19:58 UTC 2015

Sat, 12 Dec 2015, brian at linuxsynths.com [1]wrote:

>> although
pulseaudio wasn't causing the problem I was having with this particular
instrument, when I run "top" or "htop" in the terminal, pulseaudio is
always near the top of the list of threads, even though I have never
used it. So I did

> Do you have the cpu governor set to performance
rather than ondemand?
> pulse is running .7 to 1% here, less than jack
and way less than
> zita-ajbridge BTW. firefox is up to 15% and a you
tube plugin is pretty
> solid at 12 to 15%, Turning the governor to
performance cuts those in
> half.
>
>> uninstall it (remove rather
than purge) and things still work fine as far as I have seen so far.

> Glad you have figured things out.

Yes, I'm familiar with all of your
points above. I use skype on another pc where I don't do audio work, i
part because I know that it requires pulseaudio. My set-up has cpu set
to performance, and I think the only real "interruptions" that I get are
when my internet connection is active; so I now generally disconnect
from the internet while working.

And yes, pulseaudio does connect
other apps to Jack, and while that's a nice feature, since pulseaudio
doesn't figure in to my use of ubuntu studio for audio work, it's
probably more of a nuisance than anything. Since it was almost always at
the top of htop threads, and I wasn't needing it or using it, I just
uninstalled it.

So I guess for me, the best set-up is to do web
browsing mostly on a different pc, and use my ubuntu-studio pc for audio
work. Not a problem at all, really.

brian

Links:
------