[ubuntu-studio-devel] Ubuntu Studio and Pulseaudio

brian at linuxsynths.com brian at linuxsynths.com
Sat Dec 12 21:24:32 UTC 2015

Hi all,

although pulseaudio wasn't causing the problem I was
having with this particular instrument, when I run "top" or "htop" in
the terminal, pulseaudio is always near the top of the list of threads,
even though I have never used it. So I did uninstall it (remove rather
than purge) and things still work fine as far as I have seen so far.

Although I don't use pulseaudio and I don't know it very well, I have
read from many people who use linux for audio production that alsa and
jack are the preferred systems.

It would be nice if Jack would connect
to Firefox automatically; as things are right now it doesn't (afaik)
without a specific "flash-to-jack" file that I have used on another pc
but not the current installation. (I don't think it's in the
ubuntustudio repos either..) Or maybe there are other, better ways to
connect Jack to a web browser, I don't know. Perhaps it's the web
browsers' responsability to allow connection to Jack..?

brian

(PST), Len Ovens wrote:

>>> any desktop application that requires
pulse will not hang or fail
>> Hi Len, what app does hang or fail, if
the pulseaudio package is removed or replaced by a dummy package? I'm
not aware of any app and I don't see a reason to have pulseaudio
installed, if a user doesn't want to use it. IIUC the OP doesn't use
pulseaudio at all. On my Linux installs I never experienced an issue
with pulseaudio removed or replaced by a dummy package. I never used
pulseaudio.

> The OP was guessing that pulse caused problems, not
sure. So the best
> thing to do is check first before doing surgery. A
few commandline checks
> will confirm if PA is really the problem or
something else.

> Desktop applications that use audio will hang or
just stop and wait for
> audio if the device is blocked by jack unless
an alternate route is set
> up. If the user understands this, it is not
a problem, most don't. Not
> that many years ago, linux was a one audio
use at a time and users
> understood that, but most expect audio to
interleave like other OS do
> any more.
>
> I am well aware that you
do not use pulse and will look for any oportunity
> to suggest others
remove it too. You are welcome to support all those who
> choose to
remove pulse. :) However, most of us barely have time to
> support
things as they are without also supporting Fankenstien setups.

> www.ovenwerks.net [1]

Links:
------
[1]