[ubuntu-studio-devel] Ubuntu Studio and Pulseaudio

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat Dec 12 15:40:04 UTC 2015

On Sat, 12 Dec 2015, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Dec 2015 06:25:11 -0800 (PST), Len Ovens wrote:
>> any desktop application that requires pulse will not hang or fail
>
> Hi Len,
>
> what app does hang or fail, if the pulseaudio package is removed or
> replaced by a dummy package? I'm not aware of any app and I don't see a
> reason to have pulseaudio installed, if a user doesn't want to use it.
>
> IIUC the OP doesn't use pulseaudio at all. On my Linux installs I never
> experienced an issue with pulseaudio removed or replaced by a dummy
> package. I never used pulseaudio.

The OP was guessing that pulse caused problems, not sure. So the best
thing to do is check first before doing surgery. A few commandline checks
will confirm if PA is really the problem or something else.

Desktop applications that use audio will hang or just stop and wait for
audio if the device is blocked by jack unless an alternate route is set
up. If the user understands this, it is not a problem, most don't. Not
that many years ago, linux was a one audio use at a time and users
understood that, but most expect audio to interleave like other OS do
any more.

I am well aware that you do not use pulse and will look for any oportunity
to suggest others remove it too. You are welcome to support all those who
choose to remove pulse. :)  However, most of us barely have time to
support things as they are without also supporting Fankenstien setups.

www.ovenwerks.net