[ubuntu-studio-devel] Ubuntu Studio Workflows revisited

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Sun Aug 23 10:43:58 UTC 2015

So, recently we have gone from five big categories of workflows, down to
three.

 * Audio
 * Graphics
 * Video

Graphics now includes photography as a subcategory, and parts of
publishing belongs there too. Publishing is also related to Office.

Recently there was an idea of adding something like "writing" into the
mix. There is no equivalent major category in either Freedesktop
categories or in Debian sections.

Adding writing would give us:
 * Audio
 * Graphics
 * Video
 * Writing

Writing is not considered multimedia, but it is something creative that
can be done with digital tools. So, it's a digital artform. We would
need to define the workflow of writing, and also decide on the name if
we want to include it.

We have also touched the area of development earlier in our discussions.
There are development tools specific for multimedia, and we are already
supplying some of that. To what extent should development be considered
an art form? Making web pages is surely in some way always connected to
some form of design.