[ubuntu-studio-devel] continued as per request, from IRC

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Sat Aug 22 13:58:08 UTC 2015

On Sat, Aug 22, 2015, at 03:39 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Aug 2015 22:44:39 +0200, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:
> >So, to answer your question why some packages aren't making it into
> >Ubuntu - no one seems interested enough to package them, or there is a
> >problem with the package following Debian or Ubuntu policies. I really
> >don't know which.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about them not being packaged in Debian,
and from there imported to Ubuntu.
If it's packaged in Debian, it will automatically be imported to Ubuntu.

> At least I can't imagine helping to maintain packages for audio
> usage, when it's already a PITA to set up a minimal basic install of a
> development branch and troubleshooting bugs isn't done as it is done
> for other distros and for upstream (the real upstream).

Upstream means anything that flows into Ubuntu. Debian is a big part of
that upstream, wouldn't you say?
I'm not only talking about the tools that are developed in Debian, such
as apt. But, also the packaging work, that we benefit from.

If you would like to help with packaging, the best place to start would
be by joining the Debian Multimedia team, and offering to package
something. See https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia

You are also welcome to suggest changes to our packages which you can
find a list of here -
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/UbuntuStudioPackages. Best way is
to set up your own branches in launchpad.net, and make merge requests to
our branches.
If you want to do that on a permanent basis, I suggest you join
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntustudio-contributors. There's a way we work
with sources, so you will need time to learn that, before being
considered to be a member of ubuntustudio-dev.