[ubuntu-studio-devel] continued as per request, from IRC

Mike Holstein mikeh789 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 01:36:41 UTC 2015

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 4:44 PM, Kaj Ailomaa <zequence at mousike.me> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 20, 2015, at 09:51 PM, Mike Holstein wrote:
> > 15:48 < zequence> holstein: I really urge you to put your thoughts down
> > and
> > write an email instead
> > 15:48 < holstein> well, its fashionable to not like ubuntu..  and, thats
> > something larger than ubuntustudio.. but, when folks go to #ardour, for
> >                   example, and the major piece of advice is "whatever you
> > do, dont use ubuntustudio", i would like to think about why
> > 15:48 < zequence> to the mail list, that is
> > 15:49 < holstein> zequence: ? do you not understand that it would take
> > weeks to have this kind of back and forth?
> > 15:49 < zequence> There are a lot of things that you are missing about
> > how
> > things really are, and why they are as they are
> > 15:49 < zequence> It would be good for you to get those things
> > straightened
> > out
> > 15:49 < holstein> zequence: sure
> >

> > ok.. so, what do i need straightened out?
> >

> I actually asked you to put your thoughts down, and that wasn't it.
>
> But, to straighten out a few things for you anyway.
>
> = Getting New Applications Into Ubuntu =
>
> Anyone can do it. And by anyone, I mean anyone.
> But, it is preferable to first get the package into Debian repositories,
> since it will be automatically synced into Ubuntu from there.
>
> Here's info on how to get a new package into Debian:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMentorsFaq#How_do_I_add_a_new_package_to_the_archive.3F
>
> If you still want to upload it directly to Ubuntu, here's the procedure:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/NewPackages
>
> So, to answer your question why some packages aren't making it into
> Ubuntu - no one seems interested enough to package them, or there is a
> problem with the package following Debian or Ubuntu policies. I really
> don't know which.
>
> = Who can make changes to Ubuntu packages =
>
> Anyone can make changes to Ubuntu packages. And by anyone, I mean
> anyone.
>
> Unless it is a bugfix, you do the change in Debian instead of Ubuntu,
> since it will be automatically synced into Ubuntu.
>
> If you don't have upload rights, then you'll need a sponsor. In Debian
> there are several packaging teams, and the team as a whole is
> responsible for a set of packages. The Debian Multimedia team is
> responsible for packaging a lot of the stuff that we distribute.
>
> So, to make changes, you either become a Debian Multimedia team member
> and get access to the sources directly, or you get someone there to
> sponsor your changes. As long as you are improving stuff and not
> breaking them, as well as following Debian Policy, your changes will be
> accepted.
>
> = Who can upload Ubuntu Studio packages specifically? =
>
> Anyone with full upload rights. This means anyone with upload rights can
> upload a new version of our packages at any time. Usually, that person
> [...]

i think this was just a miscommunication.

i appreciate your through answer, and understand the points you make.

the point i was making as to "why no one is uploading files to
ubuntu(studio)", was, we dont really need to get coders to join the
ubuntustudio team. i agree, and think it would be great to attract some
folks that can do that. but, we dont have to build the community/team up of
just that kind of contributor. it could be just normal end users who want
to help, and find other upstream developers to assist with projects that we
need help with. i think there is plenty that non code contributors could do.

MH

likethecow.com