[ubuntu-studio-devel] Newbie at UbuntuStudio devel

Mike Holstein mikeh789 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 22:58:53 UTC 2015

On Tuesday, August 18, 2015, <brian at linuxsynths.com> wrote:

> Yes, using the AVlinux iso might be an idea to try out.  I understand what
> you are saying about different hardware configurations and finding the
> right "match", and I can believe that one kernel might work better on one
> PC rather than another. It would be awesome if a distro such as Ubuntu
> Studio had various kernels already available in the repos, that one could
> install one-by-one and test out. That would avoid a lot of work for those
> of us who don't know a lot about compiling, etc.

There are quite a few different kernels available in the default
repositories. There is only the one that is specifically for audio
production. Ideally, all hardware specifications would be open, and we can
either build/compile our own kernels specifically for the hardware we have,
or the hardware creators would just provide, and maintain a kernel for us.
I don't make my own, but I test many that are pre made. I find the
lowlatency or even the stock generic typically meets my needs.

--
MH

likethecow.com