[ubuntu-studio-devel] PS: Green hard disk drives

lukefromdc at hushmail.com lukefromdc at hushmail.com
Thu Aug 13 17:14:50 UTC 2015

The Green drives are considered to have buggy FIRMWARE, the 4 second
spindown interval being just too short and causing huge problems is desktop
use. The "idle3-tools" package contains a utility to allow resetting or disabling
this time

sudo apt-get install idle3-tools

will bring this into Ubuntu or Debian. You can then
disable the firmware timer and use HDparm to set up a more normal timeout.
I did this with three of these drives, two of them in a RAID0 with another drive.
Some months later, the 3ed drive died, just fell off the SATA bus and could not
be recognized again. That's probably unrelated, probably caused by another
firmware bug in fact, but the utility does warn about possible issues.

When I ran that utlity, the start-stop cycles stopped climbing to the moon, prolonging
the lives of the other two drives,. which are still in use today. I would never buy another,
however.