[ubuntu-studio-devel] PS: Green hard disk drives

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Aug 13 11:02:16 UTC 2015

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 12:09:47 +0200, I wrote:
>To be continued...

There's no need to run smartctl again. I sit side by side to the green
drive and without gvfs, libfm, lxpanel, udisks2, spacefm, rodent
packages installed, something waked up the green drive. I didn't start
any Qt or KDE based application, so the KDE equivalent to GVFS can't be
the culprit either. In my experiences the KDE thingy only wakes up
green drives after a KDE app, such as K3b was launched for at least one
time, while GVFS just needs to be installed to wake up green drives.
Anyway, I guess based on Qt, just QupZilla is installed, but I run
IceCat.

Btw. I forgot to mention IceCat, it's from upstream, not from official
repos. However, QupZilla and IceCat most likely aren't involved in that
issue. FWIW I use both on Arch Linux too.

Now I'm absolutely clueless, what touches the green drive without
reason.

If I shouldn't find out myself or somebody shouldn't tell me, I need
to remove my Ubuntu install, IOW I have to drop Ubuntu Studio. At the
moment no pro-audio packages are installed, excepted of
libjack-jackd2-0, since it's a gstreamer1.0-plugins-good dependency, so
it's really a minimalist install.

:(

Regards,
Ralf