[ubuntu-studio-devel] Feature Spec Discussion: Desktop Agnostic

lukefromdc at hushmail.com lukefromdc at hushmail.com
Sun Apr 26 17:45:38 UTC 2015

In addition to the desktop issue, there is another problem on the horizon:
Ubuntu is beginning to transition away from using the Debian packaging
format for the "snappy" system.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Ubuntu-15.10-DEB-To-Snap

For now that will be limited to the "desktop-next" spin, but I do not know
their plans for the future. Word is the snappy images will themselves be
built from debian packages, then distributed in the new format with a
base image that is read-only and always the same. If all of the media
handling and editing packages of even one workflow were installed on
top of this in the "click" or any similar format, the result would be that
installation disk space requirements would balloon to tens of GB, as each
package would be essentially a portable version with all its own libraries.
RAM requirements would also balloon for loading many copies of the same
libraries when many programs are open, just like in Windows.

I know a lot of energy is going into the whole phone/convergence thing,
which is almost opposite what a big media editing workstation needs. What
I am worried about is any future plan in which all flavors would be expected
to ship as snappy images and it would become difficult for users like me to
keep updating from either the alpha of the day or the latest release. Will
Ubuntu commit to support for Debian packaged flavors at least through
16.04 if not indefinately?

Real worst-case would be for existing installs to become abandoned, with no
new debian packages available and having to update everything from
upstream source!

I do not know at this point if I can count on Ubuntu to keep supporting what
I have installed, or should I start the laborious process of porting a very
heavily modified OS to an entirely new distro. Alternative for me with the
volume of custom built and hacked packages I use (MATE-gkt3 anyone?)
might be  to find some way to modify Gentoo's Portage system to work
with an abandoned version of Ubuntu and source updates. I am really
worried about this and looking at mountains of work if Ubuntu plans
to drop the .deb.