[ubuntu-studio-devel] Ubuntu Studio 14.04 libjackdev has unmet dependencies (libjack0)

Mike Holstein mikeh789 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 02:32:19 UTC 2015

On Sat, Apr 11, 2015 at 8:19 PM, mike thomas <mjt464 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there and greetings from Western Australia.

hello and welcome!

> I was hoping to build the current git guitarix sources to make some
> modifications, but getting the package libjackdev would lead to having to
> remove Ardour3 as suggested by apt-get in the transcript below.
>
> I would prefer not to uninstall Ardour3.  So this raises the following
>

> Should I use a later version of Ubuntu Studio to work on the current
> development sources of guitarix? (This option is fine with me if it will
> work, I have only just installed 14.04.)

there really wont be a "should" for this, just, what works for you. why do
you need a newer version of guitarix? why not use the "supported" version
in the ubuntu repos? is there a feature you need in the latest? if so, i
would ask the maintainers/creators what is needed, and comply. nothing
about ubuntu 14.04, or any of the versions is preventing guitarix from
working specifically, but, ubuntu is not a "rolling release".

> Is there a way to fix this issue via apt-get which gives Ardour3 and
> QJackCtl back without having to rebuild everything from source?  (I am not
> an expert with apt package management, but am happy to take advice and
> learn.)

nothing is really "broken" to be fixed here, which is the issue. you are
trying to use a package that is not an ubuntu system package, and it can be
challenging to address all the dependencies and needs manually.

> Any advice appreciated.

what would i do? likely just elaborate about what i want/need from the
latest version of guitarix, and see if there is a simple PPA that i can add
to my 14.04 system to add the package. if not, i would elaborate about what
is needed. i personally wouldnt be bothered by removing ardour, since, i
prefer to pay for the binary directly from the ardour site, and get the
latest from them directly. with FOSS and linux, there is always some kind
of answer. you could go as far as another system in chroot that supports
*exactly* what the creators of guitarix say you need.. but, i wouldnt get
too technical on this.. i would see if there is actually anything from
guitarx's latest version you need, and go from there..

cheers..

> Thanks
>
> Mike Thomas.

> mike at Snowpea:~$ sudo apt-get install libjack-dev
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.

>  libjack-dev : Depends: libjack0 (=
> 1:0.121.3+20120418git75e3e20b-2.1ubuntu1) but it is not going to be
> installed
> mike at Snowpea:~$ sudo apt-get install libjack0
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer
> required:
>   linux-headers-3.16.0-30-generic linux-image-3.16.0-30-generic
>   linux-image-extra-3.16.0-30-generic
> Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
>   jackd1 jackd1-firewire
> Suggested packages:
>   jack-tools
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   ardour3 gladish idjc jack-keyboard jack-rack jackd jackd2 jackd2-firewire
>   jamin ladish laditools libjack-jackd2-0 meterbridge python-laditools
>   qjackctl qmidinet qtractor rakarrack slv2-jack zynjacku
>   jackd1 jackd1-firewire libjack0
> 0 to upgrade, 3 to newly install, 20 to remove and 7 not to upgrade.
> Need to get 354 kB of archives.
> After this operation, 53.3 MB disk space will be freed.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
> Abort.
> mike at Snowpea:~$

MH