[ubuntu-studio-devel] dbus

lukefromdc at hushmail.com lukefromdc at hushmail.com
Thu Oct 23 19:52:02 UTC 2014

I made the transition myself, since I needed to port my boot time
multi encrypted disk
unlocker over to it, given that Ubuntu will use it in the future. I
tend to make that sort
of transition well in advance if it involves porting my own software.

I DO see forks of systemd developing, however, if GNOME keeps making
it bigger and
bigger, unless of course they keep the current pattern where distros
or users compiling
it themselves can use only the modules they need. Knowing GNOME I
would not bet on
that, so systemd could get forked the same way gnome-shell did,
possibly even by the
same people for all I know,

There is already one systemd fork out there, a stripped down version
using only the
init functions actually NEEDED for systemd, named Uselessd in a snub
to the
systemd authors.

I've actually had mostly good results actually using systemd 212
(which Ubuntu
distributes): a non-encrypted desktop I set up for someone with it can
boot to
MATE in  13 seconds using a Phenom II x4 and a tiny SSD for a boot
drive. That's
the time to a fully usable desktop with Conky showing the uptime, does
not include
the POST time which is actually longer.

The main systemd issue I've had is this: the timeout for a hung
process is far too long,
at either 2 1/2 or 5 min(not sure which). I am considering setting a
far shorter default
timeout of maybe 10 or 15 seconds, then setting a 5 min timeout on the
encryption
password call. That uses my own custom written systemd unit. This way,
any other
hung boot or shutdown process would quickly spawn a shell instead of
sitting and doing
nothing for 5 minutes before finally bringing out the "emergency"
shell.

On 10/23/2014 at 3:41 PM, "Ralf Mardorf"  wrote:On Thu, 2014-10-23 at
15:29 -0400, lukefromdc at hushmail.com wrote:
> I just tested stopping dbus (via systemd), this kills lightdm as
well.
> To run without dbus you would need a session manager that does not
> require it to be running in order to run itself. On my system
lightdm
> did restart, but with networking disabled.

Currently I run Arch Linux with systemd, but all my outdated Ubuntu
Studio installs are using upstart. A short web search doesn't mention
that Ubuntu made this unholy transition too. Yes, I'm a SysVinit
believer ;). So, are you using Ubuntu Studio with systemd?

Btw. thanks for the information about dbus :).
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: